Historic Keney Park
Keney Park, composing 693 acres, is one of the largest designed landscapes in the United States. An initial gift of 533 acres by investor and wholesale grocer, Henry Keney to the City of Hartford in 1894, it expanded the City’s then-emerging park system. Keney Park was designed by the landscape architectural firm of Olmsted, Olmsted and Eliot. It was deemed ready and presentable for transfer to the City, as directed in Keney’s will, on August 18, 1924. Keney Park was intentionally designed to be a “truly sylvan pastoral landscape.” Over time, it has been enjoyed by generations of Hartford families and visitors. In 1993 the City of Hartford gave the FOKP a renovated park foreman’s house to serve as the organization’s office. The FOKP has been working to develop this house into a museum/library of all Hartford’s parks’ histories. This office also serves as a catalyst to bring more activities and neighborhood participation into the Park. In addition to the Keney Park House the organization also oversees the upkeep of a banquet hall/meeting house facility which is capable of accommodating 120 people. The facility is equipped with a fully- licensed commercial kitchen and is available to the public on a rental basis for private events. The banquet facility has been the site of countless community meetings and family reunions.
Download the Story
Researched and Written by Todd Jones
Given Exclusively to the Hartford History Center, Hartford Public Library